"HOPE BOWDLER, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Munslow, county Salop. 1½ mile S.E. of Church Stretton, its post town. The parish, which is inconsiderable, contains the small townships of Chelmick and Ragdon. There are several limestone hills in the parish, the slopes of which are used for depasturing sheep. The village stands on the road from Church Stretton to Wenlock. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Hereford, value £228, in the patronage of certain trustees. The church is a small ancient edifice, with a low square tower, dedicated to St. Andrew. The parochial charities produce about £1 per annum." [Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015]
- A transcript of the HopeBowdler parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1831 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the HopeBowdler parish entries from Gregory's 1824 Gazetteer of Shropshire,
Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015
- " CHELMICK, a township in the parish of Hope Bowdler, in the county of Salop, 2 miles S.E. of Church Stretton."
- " RAGDON, a township in the parish of Hope Bowdler, county Salop, 1 mile S.E. of Church Stretton."
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Hope Bowdler to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Hope Bowdler has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO475924 (Lat/Lon: 52.526929, -2.775275), Hope Bowdler which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)