"HOPTON WAFERS, a parish in the Cleobury division of the hundred of Stottesdon, county Salop, 2 miles W. of Cleobury Mortimer, its post town, 5 N.E. of Tenbury, and 9 E. of Ludlow. It is a small village situated in a valley at the foot of Cleo Hill, on the Ludlow and Cleobury Mortimer turnpike road. There is a station at Hopton Heath, on the Knighton branch of the Shrewsbury and Hereford railway. The castle, which was of great strength, was garrisoned for the king in 1643 against the parliament. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £174. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Hereford, value £248. The church, which was rebuilt in 1827, is a freestone edifice dedicated to St. Michael. It has a square pinnacled tower, containing a clock and three bells. The interior of the church contains a stained-glass window, recently presented by Mrs. Botfield. Here is a free school for a limited number of children of both sexes, entirely supported by Mrs. Botfield, the lady of the manor and chief landowner. There is a place of worship for Primitive Methodists."[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015]
- A transcript of the HoptonWafers parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1831 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the HoptonWafers parish entries from Gregory's 1824 Gazetteer of Shropshire,
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Hopton Wafers to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Hopton Wafers has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO638765 (Lat/Lon: 52.385325, -2.533298), Hopton Wafers which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)