"HORDLEY, a parish in the Ellesmere division of the hundred of Pimhill, county Salop, 3 miles S. of Ellesmere, its post town, and 9 E. of Oswestry. The village, which is small, is situated on the Llanymynech canal, near the river Perry, which passes through the parish. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The soil consists of sand and loam, and there is a large extent of moorland, which affords excellent pasture. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Lichfield, value £330. The chinch, dedicated to St. Mary the Virgin, is an ancient stone edifice, with a turret containing two bells. The interior of the church contains tablets to the family of the Kynastons. There is a National school for children of both sexes, supported by voluntary contributions, erected in 1844. There is a place of worship for the Primitive Methodists at Bagley. Sir J. R. Kynaston, Bart., is lord of the manor."[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015]
- The transcription of the Parish Registers for Hordley provided by Mel Lockie.
- A transcript of the Hordley parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1831 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the Hordley parish entries from Gregory's 1824 Gazetteer of Shropshire,
- A transcript of the Hordley parish entries from Stephen Whatley's 1750 Gazetteer of England,
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Hordley to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Hordley has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ381308 (Lat/Lon: 52.871097, -2.921052), Hordley which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)