HUGHLEY: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1831.
"HUGHLEY, a parish within the liberty of WENLOCK, county of SALOP, 4 miles (W. S. W.) from Much Wenlock, containing 101 inhabitants. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry of Salop, and diocese of Hereford, rated in the king's books at £4. 11. 3., endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £200 royal bounty, and in the, patronage of the: Earl of Bradford. The church is dedicated to St. John the Baptist. The woods in this parish anciently afforded a secure retreat to robbers, since, in the reign of Richard II., a special commission was issued to enquire as to the malefactors in the woods of Hughley."
[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1831](unless otherwise stated)
[Description(s) transcribed by Mel Lockie ©2015]