"LITTLE WENLOCK, a parish within the liberties of the borough of WENLOCK, county of SALOP, 3 miles (S.) from Wellington, containing 965 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Salop, and diocese of Hereford, rated in the king's books at £11.13.4., and. in the patronage of Lord Forester. The church, "dedicated to St. Lawrence, has lately received an addition of five hundred free sittings, the- Incorporated Society for the enlargement of churches and chapels having granted £200 towards defraying the expense. There are coal and iron mines, with extensive quarries of limestone, in the parish."
[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1831](unless otherwise stated)
[Description(s) transcribed by Mel Lockie ©2015]