"LLANYBLODWELL, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Oswestry, county Salop, 6 miles S.W. of Oswestry, its post town, and 16 N.W. of Shrewsbury. It is situated in the north-western part of the county, on the borders of Denbighshire, in the vicinity of Offa's Dyke. The river Tanat flows through the parish, which includes the townships of Abertanatt, Bryn, and Llynclys, where there is a lake. Copper and lead are obtained here, and there are limestone quarries. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of St. Asaph, value £271, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is built in the style prevailing about four centuries back, with Norman doorway and arches. In 1855 it was completely restored, and an octagonal tower with spire added to the building, at the sole expense of the late Rev. John Parker, one of the first of Welsh archæologists. It contains an E. window of stained glass, a Norman font, and monuments of the Bridgeman, Godolphin, and other families. The English and Welsh languages are used alternately in the performance of Divine service. The parochial charities produce about £11 per annum, mostly applied to school purposes. In addition to the endowed school, there is a National school for both sexes. The Earl of Powis is lord of the manor."[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015]
- A transcript of the Llanyblodwell parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1831 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the Llanyblodwell parish entries from Gregory's 1824 Gazetteer of Shropshire,
Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015
- " ABERTANATT, a township in the parish of Llanyblodwell, hundred of Oswestry, in county Shropshire, 4 miles S.W. of Oswestry. It is situated on the river Tanat, near Clawd Coch, the Mediolanuin of the Romans."
- " BLODWELL, a township in the parish of Llanyblodwell, hundred of Oswestry, in the county of Salop, 5 miles to the S.W. of Oswestry."
- " BRYN, a township in the parish of Llanyblodwell, hundred of Oswestry, in the county of Salop, 5 miles to the S.W. of Oswestry. It is near the Oswestry and Newtown railway."
- " LLYNCLYS, a township in the parish of Llanyblodwell, county Salop, 3½ miles S.W. of Oswestry. It is a station on the Cambrian railway. Here is a lake, beneath the waters of which is said to be the remains of a palace."
- " MORETON, a chapelry in the parish of Llanyblodwell, hundred of Oswestry, county Salop, 3 miles S. of Oswestry. The village, which is small, is situated on the Montgomery canal. There is a mineral spring. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £190. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of St. Asaph, value £669, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church is dedicated to St. Michael."
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Llanyblodwell to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Llanyblodwell has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ242228 (Lat/Lon: 52.797415, -3.125655), Llanyblodwell which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)