LLANYBLODWELL: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1824.
"LLANYBLODWELL, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Oswestry, a rectory discharged, in the diocese of St. Asaph, and the deanery of Marchia, 156 houses, 850 inhabitants. 6 miles south-west of Oswestry."
" ABERTANNAT, a township in the parish of Llanyblodwell, and in the upper division of the hundred of Oswestry, 1 mile south- east of Llanyblodwell."
" BRYNN, a township in the parish of Llanyblodwell, and in the upper division of the hundred of Oswestry."
" LLYNCHLIS (or LLYNKLIS, or LLYNKLYS, or LLYNCLYS), a township in the parish of Llanyblodwell, and in the hundred of Oswestry.
It is a farm-house, 2 miles distant from Oswestry, on the Llanymynech road. The Lake of Llynclys, though not of very considerable extent, is of pleasing beauty and extraordinary depth, of which various strange and superstitious traditions are prevalent. It is bordered on some of its sides with reeds and rushes of extreme length; and the flower of a white water-lilly was pulled up not far from the shore, the stalk of which measured nearly fourteen feet. The fishery is the property of Lord Clive, and the water abounds with Pike, Bream, and Dare, the first of astonishing magnitude, from the impossibility of the pools being fished otherwise than with beagles, on account of its surprising depth. It is the scene of an interesting little ballad in the Poems of John F.M. Dovaston, Esq.
[Transcribed information from A Gazetteer of Shropshire - T Gregory - 1824](unless otherwise stated)
[Description(s) transcribed by Mel Lockie ©2015]