LLANYBLODWELL: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1831.
"LLANYBLODWELL, a parish in the hundred of OSWESTRY, county of SALOP, 6 miles (S. W. by S.) from Oswestry, containing 850 inhabitants. The living is a discharged rectory, with the curacy of Moreton, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St. Asaph,' rated in the king's books at £7 12. 1., and in the patronage of the Bishop of St. Asaph. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is a plain structure, with a small wooden turret rising from the roof of the west end; it contains some handsome monuments to the Bridgeman and Godolphin families. Attached to the building is a schoolroom, and a dwelling-house for the master, built and endowed by Mr. Matthews, of Blodwell hall, for the education of poor children, and to which the late Rev. Dr. Donne was a great benefactor. The small river Tannat flows through the parish, and Offa's Dyke bounds it on the east. Here are quarries of limestone and several lime-kilns, affording employment to most of the poor inhabitants of the neighbourhood; copper and lead ore also abound, though no regular mines of either seem to have been wrought since the time of the Romans, of whose works there are still considerable traces in this and the adjoining parishes. In the township of Llynclys, a name derived from Llyn, a lake, and Lys, a palace, is a lake of extraordinary depth, of which it is vulgarly believed and affirmed, that when the water is clear and unruffled, towers and other parts of a large structure are plainly discernible at the bottom."
" MORETON, a chapelry in the parish of LLANYBLODWELL, hundred of OSWESTRY, county of SALOP, 3 miles (S.) from Oswestry. The population is returned with the parish. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St. Asaph, endowed with £ 32 per annum private benefaction, and £200 royal bounty. The chapel is dedicated to St. Michael. Here is a mineral spring."
[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1831](unless otherwise stated)
[Description(s) transcribed by Mel Lockie ©2015]