"LLANYMYNECH, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Oswestry, county Salop with a part in the county of Montgomery, 6 miles S.W. of Oswestry, its post town, and 17 N.W, of Shrewsbury. It is situated on the borders of Denbighshire and Montgomeryshire, a small portion of the parish extending into those counties. The Cambrian railway has a station here. The river Vyrnwy, the Montgomery canal, and Offa's Dyke, traverse this neighbourhood. The townships of Llwyn Tidman, Carreghova, and Treprenal, are included in the parish The district abounds with hills, from whence are obtained copper ore, ochre, and large quantities of limestone. At the quarries of Porthywaen enormous quantities of mountain limestone are extracted and transmitted to Staffordshire to be used in the smelting of iron ore. Lead and zinc have also been found here. The highest point is called Llanymynech Hill, from the summit of which there are extensive views of the surrounding country. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of St. Asaph, value £394, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is a stone edifice, in the Anglo-Norman style of architecture, erected in 1845. It has an E. window of stained glass. The charities produce about £3 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes. At a spot called Ogo Cavern, Roman coins of the reign of Antoninus have been found in juxtaposition with mining-tools, and several skeletons, showing that these copper-mines were worked by the Romans. In the neighbourhood may be seen traces of a British camp. The Earl of Powis and F. West, Esq., are lords of the manor. Fairs are held on the 1st April, 29th May, and 23rd September."[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015]
- The transcription of the Parish Registers for Llanymynech provided by Mel Lockie.
- A transcript of the Llanymynech parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1831 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the Llanymynech parish entries from Gregory's 1824 Gazetteer of Shropshire,
Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015
- " LLWYNTIDMAN, a township in the parish of Llanymynech, county Salop, 5 miles S. of Oswestry. The river Vyrnwy flows through it."
- " PANT, a hamlet in the parish of Llanymynech, hundred of Upper Oswestry, county Salop, 5 miles S. of Oswestry. It is a station on the Cambrian railway. It is situated near the river Vyrnwy, and the Montgomery canal."
- " TREPRENAL, a township in the parish of Llanymynech, county Salop, 5 miles S. of Oswestry."
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Llanymynech to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Llanymynech has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ267209 (Lat/Lon: 52.780684, -3.088158), Llanymynech which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)