Longdon upon Terne
"LONGDON-UPON-TERNE, a parish in the hundred of South Bradford, county Salop, 3 miles N.W. of Wellington, and 10 N.E. of Shrewsbury, its post town. It is situated on the river Terns, which is here crossed by the Shrewsbury canal by means of an aqueduct 186 feet in length. The main road between Wellington and Wem passes through the village. The river, which is here fed by several smaller streams, is crossed by two bridges. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £210. The living is a donative curacy in the diocese of Lichfield, value £182. The church, dedicated to St. Bartholomew, is a small edifice of brick. There is a parochial school for both sexes, built by the Duke of Sutherland, who is lord of the manor."[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015]
- The transcription of the Parish Registers for Longdon-upon-Tern provided by Mel Lockie.
- A transcript of the LongdonUponTerne parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1831 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the LongdonUponTerne parish entries from Gregory's 1824 Gazetteer of Shropshire,
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Longdon upon Terne to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Longdon upon Terne has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ616155 (Lat/Lon: 52.735761, -2.57015), Longdon upon Terne which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)