"LONGNOR, a parish in the hundred of Condover, county Salop, 5 miles N.E. of Church Stretton, and 8 S. of Shrewsbury, its post town. The Leebotwood station on the Shrewsbury and Hereford line of railway, is about 1½ mile from the village. It is situated on the river Onny in a hilly neighbourhood. The Romans had a station here. Coal is obtained. The living is a perpetual curacy annexed to that of Leebotwood, in the diocese of Lichfield. The church is an ancient edifice, formerly belonging to Haughmond Abbey. The parochial endowments produce about £44 per annum. There is a National school. This was the birth-place of the Rev. Samuel Lee, a self-taught linguist, and formerly professor of Arabic at Cambridge. Longnor Hall is the principal residence."[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015]
- The transcription of the Parish Registers for Longnor provided by Mel Lockie.
- A transcript of the Longnor parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1831 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the Longnor parish entries from Gregory's 1824 Gazetteer of Shropshire,
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Longnor to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Longnor has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ488006 (Lat/Lon: 52.600763, -2.757384), Longnor which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)