"LYDBURY NORTH, a parish in the hundred of Purslow, county Salop, 3 miles S.E. of Bishop's Castle, its post town, and 8 S.W. of Church Stretton. The Craven Arms station, on the Shrewsbury and Hereford line of railway, is about 8 miles W. from the village, which is situated on the main road from Bishop's Castle to that station. The parish, which is of large extent, includes the townships of Acton, Brocton, Choulton, Eaton, Eyton and Plowden, Lower Down, and Totterton. The soil is rich, and the surface undulating. Stone is quarried for building purposes. In the reign of Henry III. the bishops of Hereford had a castle here. Plowden, the distinguished lawyer and author of the "Commentaries," resided at Plowden Hall, in this parish. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford, -value with the curacy of Norbury annexed, £551. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is a very ancient structure with some modern improvements. It contains an antique font. The parochial charities, including £11 endowment to Shipman's school, produce about £50 per annum. The Roman Catholics have a chapel at Plowden Hall, to which a school is attached. There is a parochial free school for both sexes, and in the village is a free library, founded by the Countess of Powis. In Lower Down are traces of a British camp. Walcot Park is a seat of the Earl of Powis. The mansion contains some good paintings, also a large number of Indian productions brought to this country by Lord Clive. The Earl of Powis and William Plowden, Esq., are lords of the manor. Plowden Hall and Totterton Hall are handsome seats.[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015]
- The transcription of the Non-Conformist Register for Plowden, St Francis provided by Mel Lockie.
- A transcript of the LydburyNorth parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1831 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the LydburyNorth parish entries from Gregory's 1824 Gazetteer of Shropshire,
- A transcript of the LydburyNorth parish entries from Stephen Whatley's 1750 Gazetteer of England,
Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015
- " ACTON, a township in the parish of Lydbury North, hundred of Purslow, in Shropshire, 3 miles from the parish church, and 4. E. of Bishop's Castle."
- " BROCKTON, a township in the parish of Lydbury North, hundred of Purslow, in the county of Salop, 2 miles from Bishop's Castle."
- " CHOULTON, a township in the parish of Lydbury North, in the county of Salop, 4 miles E. of Bishop's Castle. It is situated on the river Onny."
- " EATON, a township in the parish of Lydbury North, county Salop, 3 miles N.E. of Bishop's Castle. The river Onny passes through the township."
- " EYTON, a township united with Plowden, in the parish of Lydbury North, in the hundred of Purslow, county Salop, 3 miles N.E. of Bishops Castle."
- " LOWER DOWN, a township in the parish of Lydbury North, in the county of Salop, 2 miles S.E. of Bishop's Castle.
- " PLOWDON, a township in the parish of Lydbury North, county Salop, 3 miles S.E. of Bishop's Castle. It is in conjunction with Eyton."
- " TOTTERTON, a township in the parish of Lydbury North, county Salop, 2 miles S.E. of Bishop's Castle."
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Lydbury North to another place.
- Mark George's website for Lydbury North - Census, Parish Registers, Cemeteries, Churchwardens &c. covering the period 1568-1881.
You can see the administrative areas in which Lydbury North has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO352860 (Lat/Lon: 52.468075, -2.955303), Lydbury North which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)