"MAINSTONE, a parish partly in the hundred of PURSLOW, county of SALOP, and partly in the hundred of MONTGOMERY, and county of MONTGOMERY, containing 451 inhabitants, 4 miles (W. by S.) from Bishop's Castle. The'living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Salop, and diocese of Hereford, rated in the Icing's books at s£4. 13. 4, and in the patronage of the Earl of Powis. The church is dedicated to St. John the Baptist."
[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1831](unless otherwise stated)
[Description(s) transcribed by Mel Lockie ©2015]