Middle

Primary tabs

"MIDDLE, a parish, partly in the liberties of Shrewsbury, but chiefly in the Albrighton division of the hundred of Pimhill, county Salop, 8 miles N.W. of Shrewsbury, its post town, and 3 N.E. of Baschurch railway station. It is situated on the Shrewsbury and Ellesmere road, and is chiefly agricultural. The surface is undulating, and there is a small lake of about ten acres, called Marton Pool. The parish includes the townships of Balderton, Hadnall, Marton, Newton, and Sleap. The soil is clay and loam alternating with red sand. Here are the ruined tower and walls of a castle, built by Lord L'Estrange, and formerly belonging to "Wild" Kynaston, whose cave is to be seen in Nescliffe Rock. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £1,100. The living is a rect* in the diocese of Lichfield, value £1,003. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is a stone structure with an ancient tower, containing a clock and three bells. The chancel, which was restored in 1855, has a stained window, and an old brass, bearing date 1564. There is also a district church at Hadnall, the living of which is a perpetual curacy, value £72. The parochial charities produce about £92 per annum. There is a parochial school for both sexes, chiefly supported by the rector. Earl Brownlow is lord of the manor."[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015]

Churches

You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Middle area or see them printed on a map.

topup

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Middle which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015

  • " ALERTON, a township in the chapelry of Hadnall, parish of Middle, and hundred of Pimhill, in county Shropshire, 7 miles to the N. of Shrewsbury."
  • " BALDERTON, a township in the parish of Middle, hundreds of Prinhill and Albrighton in the county of Salop, 8 miles to the N. of Shrewsbury."
  • " HADNALL EASE, a chapelry in the parish of Middle, liberty of the borough of Shrewsbury, county Salop, 6 miles N.E. of Shrewsbury. It is a station on the Crewe and Shrewsbury section of the London and North-Western railway. It contains the hamlets of Smethcote, Alderton, Haston, Hardwick, and Shotton. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Lichfield, value £72, in the patronage of the Rector of Middle. The church is dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene. A school was founded and endowed under the will of Lady Mary Hill, in 1787, the income of which is now £76."
  • " HARDWICK, a township in the chapelry of Hadnall, and parish of Middle, county Salop, 5 miles N.E. of Shrewsbury."
  • " HASTON, a township in the chapelry of Hadnall and the parish of Middle, county Salop, 5 miles N.E. of Shrewsbury."
  • " MARTON, a township in the parish of Middle, county Salop, 5 miles S.W. of Wem."
  • " NEWTON, a township in the parish of Middle, county Salop, 6 miles N. of Shrewsbury."
  • " SHOTTON, a township in the chapelry of Hadnall and the parish of Middle, county Salop, 5 miles N. of Shrewsbury."

Ask for a calculation of the distance from Middle to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Middle has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup
topup

Names, Personal