"MIDDLE, a parish partly in the liberties of SHREWSBURY, but chiefly in the hundred of PIMHILL, county of SALOP, 8 miles (N. byW.) from Shrewsbury, containing, with the chapelry of Hadnall Ease, 1190 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Salop, and diocese of Lichfield and Coventry, rated ii; the king's books at £12. 7 3., and in the patronage of the Trustees of the late Earl of Bridgewater. The church is dedicated to St. Peter. Here are remains of Middle castle, which was built by Lord L'Estrange. Marion Pool, a lake in this parish, covers about ten acres."
" HADNALL EASE, a chapelry in that part of the parish of MIDDLE, which is within the liberty of SHREWSBURY, county of SALOP, 5 miles (N. N. E.) from Shrewsbury, containing 363 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, with the rectory of Grinshill, in the archdeaconry of Salop, and diocese of Lichfield and Coventry, endowed with £400 private benefaction, and £1000 royal bounty. The chapel is dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene."
[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1831](unless otherwise stated)
[Description(s) transcribed by Mel Lockie ©2015]