"MIDDLETON SCRIVEN, a parish in the Chelmarsh division of the hundred of Stottesdon, county Salop, 5½ miles S.W. of Bridgnorth, its post town, and 16 from Shiffnal. The village, which is inconsiderable, is situated 1 mile off the road from Bridgnorth to Cleobury Mortimer. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in agriculture. The soil consists of marl and clay. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £115, besides a glebe of 33 acres. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Hereford, value £170. The church is dedicated to St. John the Baptist. The fittings of the interior are of oak, and it has several stained windows. The Manor House is the principal residence."[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015]
- The transcription of the Parish Registers for Middleton Scriven provided by Mel Lockie.
- A transcript of the MiddletonScriven parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1831 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the MiddletonScriven parish entries from Gregory's 1824 Gazetteer of Shropshire,
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Middleton Scriven to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Middleton Scriven has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO687873 (Lat/Lon: 52.482717, -2.462323), Middleton Scriven which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)