"MONK HOPTON, a parish in the borough of Wenlock, county Salop, 6 miles N.W. of Bridgnorth, its post town, and 16 S.W. of Shiffnal railway- station. The village, which is small and straggling, is situated on the new road between Bridgnorth and Ludlow. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. There are some good specimens of the yew and oak, which thrive well in this neighbourhood. The soil consists of a strong loam with a subsoil of clay. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Hereford, value £56. The church is an ancient brick and stone structure, with a tower containing two bells. The church was restored in 1840. There is a girls' school. Lord Wenlock is lord of the manor."[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015]
- The transcription of the Parish Registers for Monk Hopton provided by Mel Lockie.
- A transcript of the MonkHopton parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1831 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the MonkHopton parish entries from Gregory's 1824 Gazetteer of Shropshire,
Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015
- " NETCHWOOD, a hamlet in the parish of Monk Hopton, hundred of Stoddesden, county Salop, 5 miles W. by S. of Bridgnorth. It is situated near the river Severn."
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Monk Hopton to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Monk Hopton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO626935 (Lat/Lon: 52.538066, -2.552841), Monk Hopton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)