"MONTFORD, a parish in the Baschurch division of the hundred of Pimhill, county Salop, 5 miles N.W. of Shrewsbury, its post town, and 12 from Oswestry. The village, which is of small extent, is situated near Montford Bridge, on the N. bank of the river Severn, and is wholly agricultural. The parish includes the hamlets of Ensdon and Forton. The soil is chiefly loam and sand, producing excellent crops of barley. The surface is in general level. The living is a vicarage with the rectory* of Shrawardine annexed, in the diocese of Lichfield, value £380 and £233 respectively. The church, dedicated to St. Chad, is a red sandstone structure with a square tower containing three bells."[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015]
- The transcription of the Parish Registers for Montford provided by Mel Lockie.
- A transcript of the Montford parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1831 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the Montford parish entries from Gregory's 1824 Gazetteer of Shropshire,
Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015
- " ENSDON, a township in the parish of Montford, county Salop, 6 miles N.W. of Shrewsbury."
- " FORTON, a hamlet in the parish of Montford, county Salop, 5 miles N.W. of Shrewsbury. The river Severn flows past it."
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Montford to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Montford has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ419148 (Lat/Lon: 52.727707, -2.861757), Montford which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)