"MONTFORD, a parish in the hundred of PIMHILL, county of SALOP, 5 miles (W.N.W.) from Shrewsbury, containing 517 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Salop, and diocese of Lichfield and Coventry, rated in the king's books at £4. 18. 6., and in the patronage of the Earl of Powis, The church is dedicated to St. Chad. The parish.is bounded on the south by the river Severn, across which there is a bridge."
[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1831](unless otherwise stated)
[Description(s) transcribed by Mel Lockie ©2015]