"MUCKLESTONE, (or Muckleston, or Muxton), a parish partly in the Drayton division of North Bradford hundred, county Salop, and partly in the N. division of the hundred of Pirehill, county Stafford, 4½ miles N.E. of Market-Drayton, and 6 W. of the Whitmore railway station. The village, which is small, is situated near the river Tern, and is wholly agricultural. The parish is extensive, containing the townships of Woore, Aston, and seven others. The river Tern here divides the county of Stafford from that of Shropshire. There are several quarries of good building-stone. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £1,036. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Lichfield, value £1,072. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, was rebuilt in 1790, with the exception of the tower, from which Queen Margaret of Anjou is said to have witnessed the defeat of the royalists by Neville on Bloreheath in 1459. The register dates from 1556. There is also a district church at Woore, the living of which is a perpetual curacy,* value £96. The parochial charities produce about £172 per annum, of which £31 goes to Orsley's school and £15 to Elkin's. Oakley Hall is the principal residence, and is situated in an extensive park. Lord Crewe is lord of the manor."[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015]
- A transcript of the Mucklestone parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1831 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the Mucklestone parish entries from Gregory's 1824 Gazetteer of Shropshire,
Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015
- " BEARSTONE, a township in the parish of Mucklestone, hundred of North Bradford, in the county of Salop, 5 miles to the N.E. of Drayton."
- " DORRINGTON, a township in the parish of Mucklestone, Drayton division of the hundred of North Bradford, in the county of Salop, 6 miles N.E. of Market Drayton, and 2 S.W. of Woore."
- " GRAVENHAM, a township in the parish of Mucklestone, Drayton division of the hundred of North Bradford, county Salop, 6 miles N.E. of Drayton."
- " WOORE, a township and ecclesiastical district in the parish of Mucklestone, Drayton division of North Bradford, hundred, county Salop, 7 miles N.E. of Market-Drayton. The ecclesiastical district includes the township, and extends into the adjoining county of Stafford. Its population in 1861 was 839, and that of the township 783. The church, dedicated to St. Leonard, was erected in 1830. There are National and Sunday schools."
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Mucklestone to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Mucklestone has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ726373 (Lat/Lon: 52.932397, -2.409081), Mucklestone which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)