Munslow

Primary tabs

"MUNSLOW, a parish in the lower division of Munslow hundred, county Salop, 7 miles S.W. of Church-Stretton railway station, its post town, and 10 N. of Ludlow. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the river Corve, and on the high road from Ludlow to Wenlock. The parish contains Bach-Mill, Holloway, Topley, and seven other townships. The soil consists of clay and loam, with a subsoil of limestone and quarry stone. An Act was, passed in 1838 for enclosing waste land to the extent of 170 acres. The living is a rectory* with the curacy of Broadstone annexed, in the diocese of Hereford, value £665. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is an ancient stone structure with a low square tower containing four bells. The interior of the church has an antique font, also a stained E. window. The chancel is separated from the nave by a carved oak screen, and attached to the latter is a chantry chapel, much dilapidated. The parochial charities produce about £14 per annum. There is a chapel-of-ease at Broadstone, and a place of worship for Wesleyans. There is a school for both sexes, supported by the children's pence and by voluntary subscriptions. Millichope Park is the principal residence. C. 0. C. Pemberton, Esq., is lord of the manor. Munslow gave the title of baron to Edward Lord Littleton, Chief Justice of the Common Pleas and Keeper of the Great Seal, who was born here in 1589."[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015]

Churches

You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Munslow area or see them printed on a map.

topup

Church Records

  • The transcription of the Parish Registers for Munslow provided by Mel Lockie. 
topup

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Munslow which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015

  • "ASTON, a township in the parish of Munslow, hundred of Munslow, in the county of Salop, 7 miles to the N. of Ludlow. It is situated on the western aide of the river Corve, not far from the ridge of limestone rock called Wenlock Edge."
  • " BROADSTONE, a township in the parish and hundred of Munslow, in the county of Salop. 6 miles to the S.E. of Church Stretton. The living is a perpetual curacy annexed to the rectory of Munslow, in the diocese of Hereford."
  • " HOLLAWAY, a village in the parish of Munslow, county Salop, 8 miles N. of Ludlow."
  • " HUNGERFORD, a township in the parishes of Eaton and Munslow, county Salop, 6 miles S.E. of Church Stretton. It is situated on the river Corve."
  • " LOWER POSTON, a township in the parish of Munslow, county Salop, 5 miles N.E. of Ludlow.
  • " MILLICHOPE, a township in the parish of Munslow, county Salop, 5 miles S.E. of Church Stretton."
  • " THONGLANDS, a township in the parish of Munslow, county Salop, 9 miles N.E. of Ludlow, on the river Corve."
  • " TOPLEY, a village in the parish of Munslow, county Salop, 8 miles N.W. of Ludlow."

Ask for a calculation of the distance from Munslow to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Munslow has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup