"NEEN-SAVAGE, (or Upper Neen), a parish in the hundred of Stottesdon, county Salop, 1 mile N. of Cleobury-Mortimer, its post town, and 12 miles W. of Kidderminster. The village, which is small and of irregular form, is situated on the river Rea, and is chiefly agricultural. The soil consists of cornstone and clay. Paper is manufactured in this parish. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £76, and the vicarial for, £424. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Hereford, value £394, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient stone structure with a square embattled tower containing two bells. The tower originally had a spire, but it was destroyed by lightning in 1825. The parochial charities produce about £16 per annum. There is a free school liberally endowed by the Edwards and Hinckesman families."[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015]
- The transcription of the Parish Registers for Neen Savage provided by Mel Lockie.
- A transcript of the NeenSavage parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1831 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the NeenSavage parish entries from Gregory's 1824 Gazetteer of Shropshire,
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Neen Savage to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Neen Savage has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO675775 (Lat/Lon: 52.394547, -2.479035), Neen Savage which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)