"NEEN-SOLLARS, (or Lower Neen), a parish in the hundred of Overs, county Salop, 3 miles S. of Cleobury-Mortimer, its post town, and 10 S.E. of Ludlow. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the river Rea and Kington canal, and is wholly agricultural. The soil is chiefly clay, with a gravel subsoil. The land is partly in hop-grounds. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £273, and the glebe comprises 52 acres, valued at £65 per annum. The living is a rectory* with the curacy of Milson annexed, in the diocese of Hereford, value £360, in the patronage of Worcester College, Oxford. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient cruciform structure with a square tower crowned by a wooden spire. The interior of the church contains a tomb to Humphry Conynsby, the traveller. There is a National school for the children of the parishes of Neen-Sollars and Milson, entirely supported by Mrs. Wickstead. Colonel Rushout is lord of the manor."[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015]
- The transcription of the Parish Registers for Neen Sollars provided by Mel Lockie.
- A transcript of the NeenSollars parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1831 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the NeenSollars parish entries from Gregory's 1824 Gazetteer of Shropshire,
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Neen Sollars to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Neen Sollars has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO661723 (Lat/Lon: 52.347715, -2.499081), Neen Sollars which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)