"OLDBURY, a parish in the Chelmarsh division of the hundred of Stottesdon, county Salop, 1 mile S.W. of Bridgnorth, its post town. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the turnpike road from Bridgnorth to Cleobury-Mortimer. The parish is bounded on the E. by the river Severn. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The soil is of loam, with a sub-soil of clay. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £210, and the glebe comprises 19 acres, valued at £60 per annum. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Hereford, value £254. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is an ancient stone structure, with a turret containing two bells. The parochial charities produce about £3 per annum. There are traces in this parish of the encampment from which the parliamentary army in the civil war of Charles I. bombarded the castle of Bridgnorth."[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015]
- A transcript of the Oldbury parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1831 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the Oldbury parish entries from Gregory's 1824 Gazetteer of Shropshire,
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Oldbury to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Oldbury has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO713921 (Lat/Lon: 52.526011, -2.424454), Oldbury which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)