"ONIBURY, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Munslow, county Salop, 5 miles N.W. of Ludlow, its post town. It is a station on the Shrewsbury and Hereford railway. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the river Onny, and is wholly agricultural. The parish includes the hamlet of Walton. The soil is of a clayey, gravelly, and limy nature. A part of the village of Onibury is in the parish of Stanton Lacy and part in Stokesay parish It is a meet for the Ludlow hounds. The parish is traversed by the road from Ludlow to Shrewsbury. There are several quarries of good building-stone. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £330, and the glebe comprises 90 acres, valued at £140 per annum. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford, value £316. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient stone structure with a tower containing a clock and four bells. The interior of the church has a brass of Dorothy Pytt, bearing date 1633. The church was restored and repewed in 1837, and reroofed in 1840. There is a National school for both sexes, which is endowed with an annuity of £6 13s. 4d., bequeathed by William Norton, Esq., in 1593. The Earl of Craven is lord of the manor."[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015]
- The transcription of the Parish Registers for Onibury provided by Mel Lockie.
- A transcript of the Onibury parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1831 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the Onibury parish entries from Gregory's 1824 Gazetteer of Shropshire,
Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015
- "WALTON, a township in the parish of Onibury, county Salop, 4 miles N.W. of Ludlow."
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Onibury to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Onibury has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO455792 (Lat/Lon: 52.408076, -2.80259), Onibury which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)