"PATTINGHAM, a parish, partly in the hundred of Seisdon, county Stafford, and partly in that of Stoddesden, county Salop, 6 miles W. of Wolverhampton, its post town. The village is chiefly agricultural. The parish includes the townships of Nurton and Rudge. A gold torque 4 feet in length, and weighing 3 lbs. 2 oz., was found here in 1700, and another piece in 1780. The surface is hilly. The soil is of a mixed nature, but in general fertile, producing good barley crops. There are brick and tile kilns. The vicarial tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £342. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Lichfield, value £342. The church, dedicated to St. Chad, is an ancient structure, with a square tower containing six bells. The S. aisle has a fine window. The churchyard contains a cross of great antiquity. The register dates from 1559. The church has recently been thoroughly restored, at the expense of the Earl of Dartmouth, who is lord of the manor. The parochial charities produce about £86 per annum, of which £15 goes to a free school, and £69 is realised from Church and poor's land. There is a National school for both sexes; also an infant school, the latter supported at the expense of the Countess of Dartmouth."[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015]
- A transcript of the Pattingham parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1831 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the Pattingham parish entries from Gregory's 1824 Gazetteer of Shropshire,
Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015
- " RUDGE, a township in the parish of Pattingham, Chelmarsh division of Stottesdon hundred, county Salop, 6½ miles N.E. of Bridgnorth."
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Pattingham to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Pattingham has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO823991 (Lat/Lon: 52.58941, -2.262698), Pattingham which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)