Pontesbury

Primary tabs

"PONTESBURY, a parish in the Pontesbury division of the hundred of Ford, county Salop, 7½ miles S.W. of Shrewsbury, its post town, and 15½ N.E. of Montgomery. It is a station on the Shrewsbury and Minsterley branch of the London and North-Western railway. The parish, which is extensive, is situated on a branch of the river Severn, and on the high road to Bishop's Castle. It comprises Cruckton, Longdon, Pontesford, Asterley, and 17 other townships The village of Pontesbury, which is very considerable, is a polling and petty sessions town. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in the coal, lime, and lead mills. On Pontesbury hills are traces of a British encampment, also of a Roman well; and near the village Roman tiles, and other antiquities, have been discovered. The living is a rectory* in three portions, in the diocese of Hereford. The first portion is valued at £800; the second portion is also a rectory* with the curacy of Cructon annexed, value £735, in the patronage of Queen's College, Oxford; and the third portion, also a rectory,* value £473. The church, dedicated to St. George, was formerly collegiate, including a dean and three prebendaries. It has a tower containing five bells, and was rebuilt in 1828. There is a district church at Longden, the living of which is a donative curacy, value £75. There is also a chapel-of-ease at Cructon. The parochial charities produce about £22 per annum. There are two schools for both sexes, one of which is situated at Lea Cross. The Independents and Baptists have each a place of worship."[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015]

Churches

You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Pontesbury area or see them printed on a map.

topup

Church Records

  • The transcription of the Parish Registers for Pontesbury provided by Mel Lockie. 
topup

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Pontesbury which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015

  • "ARSCOTT, a township in the parish of Pontesbury, Pontesbury division of the hundred of Ford, in the county of Salop, 6 miles to the S.W. of Shrewsbury."
  • "ASTERLEY, a township in the parish of Pontesbury, in the Pontesbury division of the hundred of Ford, in the county of Salop, 8 miles to the S.W. of Shrewsbury. The river Rhea runs near it."
  • " BOYCOTT, a township in the parish of Pontesbury, hundred of Ford, in the county of Salop, 7 miles to the S.W. of Shrewsbury. It is not far from the Shrewsbury and Hereford railway."
  • " CRUCKMEOLE, a township in the parish of Pontesbury, in the county of Salop, 5 miles S.W. of Shrewsbury."
  • " CRUCKTON, a township and chapelry in the parish of Pontesbury, in the county of Salop, 7 miles S.W. of Shrewsbury. The living is a curacy annexed to the second mediety of the rectory of Pontesbury. It is situated on a branch of the river Severn."
  • " EDGE, a township in the parish of Pontesbury, county Salop, 7 miles S.W. of Shrewsbury."
  • " FAIRLEY, a township in the parish of Pontesbury, county Salop, 7 miles S.W. of Shrewsbury."
  • " HALSTON, a township in the parish of Pontesbury, county Salop, 7 miles S.W. of Shrewsbury."
  • " HINTON, a township in the parish of Pontesbury, county Salop, 6 miles S.W. of Shrewsbury."
  • " LEA, a township in the parish of Pontesbury, county Salop, 5 miles S.W. of Shrewsbury."
  • " LITTLE HANWOOD, a township in the parish of Pontesbury, hundred of Ford, county Salop. It adjoins Great Hanwood.
  • " LONGDEN, a chapelry in the parish of Pontesbury, hundred of Ford, county Salop, 3½ miles S.E. of Pontesbury, and 5 S.W. of Shrewsbury, its post town. There are malt kilns and lead mines, which employ many of the inhabitants. The living is a donative curacy in the diocese of Hereford, value £75. The church, dedicated to St. Ruthin, is a small edifice of brick. There is a place of worship for Independents."
  • " NEWNHAM, a township in the parish of Pontesbury, county Salop, 5 miles S.W. of Shrewsbury."
  • " NOX, a township in the parish of Pontesbury, county Salop, 5 miles W. by S. of Shrewsbury."
  • " OAKS, a township in the parish and hundred of Pontesbury, county Salop, 6 miles S.W. of Shrewsbury. It is-situated on a branch of the Severn. In the vicinity are lead mines."
  • " ONSLOW, a hamlet in the parish of Pontesbury, county Salop, 7 miles S.W. of Shrewsbury."
  • " PLEALEY, a township in the parish of Pontesbury, county Salop, 5 miles S.W. of Shrewsbury. At Plealey Road is a station on the Shrewsbury and Minsterley branch of the London and North-Western railway."
  • " PONTESFORD, a township in the parish and hundred of Pontesbury, county Salop, 1 mile S.E. of Pontesbury, and 6 miles S.W. of Shrewsbury."
  • " SASCOTT, a township in the parish of Pontesbury, county Salop, 4 miles W. of Salisbury."
  • " SIBBERSCOTT, a township in the parish of Pontesbury, county Salop, 5 miles S.W. of Shrewsbury."

Ask for a calculation of the distance from Pontesbury to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Pontesbury has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup