PONTESBURY: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1831.
"PONTESBURY, a parish in the hundred of FORD, county of SALOP, comprising the chapelry of Longdon, and the townships of Cruckton, Edge, and Pontesbury, and containing, with Little Hanwood, 2458 inhabitants, of which number, 1322 are in the township of Pontesbury, 7 miles (S. W. by W.) from. Shrewsbury. The living is a rectory, in three .portions; the. first is rated in. the king's books at £ 17. 13.4., arid in the patronage of the Rev. Ham. Harrison; the second also at £ 17 13. 4., and in the patronage of the Provost and Fellows of Queen's College, Oxford; and the third at &8. 10., and in the patronage of W. E. Owen, Esq. The church, dedicated to St. George, was formerly collegiate, including a dean and three prebendaries; it has lately received an addition of three hundred and twenty sittings, of which three . hundred are free, the Incorporated: Society for the -enlargement of churches and chapels having granted £200 for that purpose. There is a place of worship for Baptists. Lead mines are worked here to a considerable extent."
" CRUCKTON, a township in the parish of PONTESBURY, hundred of FORD, county of SALOP, 4 miles (S. W. by W.) from Shrewsbury, containing 377 inhabitants."
" EDGE, a township in the parish of PONTESBURY, hundred of FORD, county of SALOP, containing 372 inhabitants."
" LITTLE HANWOOD, a township in the parish of PONTESBURY, hundred of FORD, though locally in the parish of Great Hanwood, within the liberty of Shrewsbury (borough), county of SALOP. The population is returned with the parish."
" LONGDON, a chapelry in the parish of PONTESBURY, hundred of FORD, county of SALOP, 5 miles (S. W. by S.) from Shrewsbury, containing 387 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, united with the rectory of Pontesbury, in the archdeaconry of Salop, and diocese of Hereford, endowed with £.400 royal bounty, and £200 parliamentary grant. The chapel is dedicated to St. Ruthen."
[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1831](unless otherwise stated)
[Description(s) transcribed by Mel Lockie ©2015]