"PREES, a parish in the Whitchurch division of the hundred of North Bradford, county Salop, 14½ miles N. of Shrewsbury, its post town, and 5 N.E. of Wem. It is a station on the Crewe and Shrewsbury branch of the London and North-Western railway. It comprises the chapelries of Calverhall, or Cloverley, Whixhall, and Darliston, and 7 townships The village, which is large, was formerly a market town. A large portion of the land is heathy. Numerous fossils are found in the neighbourhood. A portion of the inhabitants are engaged in the coal, lime, and slate trade, which is carried on by means of the Ellesmere canal. The parish is intersected by the road from Whitchurch to Shrewsbury, and by the London road from Chester to Birmingham. The glebe comprises 68 acres. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Lichfield, value £571, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Chad, is an ancient cruciform structure with a modern tower containing six bells. The interior of the church contains tombs of the Hills, two old figures of Moses and Aaron, and some pieces of tesselated pavement. In addition to the parish church are the following district churches-viz: at Calverhall, Fauls, and Whixhall, the livings of which are all perpetual curacies,* varying in value from £120 to £50. The parochial charities produce about £93 per annum, besides a small endowment to Industry Hall school, situated at Lower Prees Heath. There is a National school for both sexes. The Independents and Primitive Methodists have each a place of worship. There is also a school for both sexes, including infants, at Prees Heath, founded and supported by Lady Hill. Prees Hall is the principal residence, where the first Viscount Hill was born in 1772. Viscount Hill is lord of the manor and principal landowner. A fair for live stock is held on the second Mondays in April and October."[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015]
- The transcription of the Non-Conformist Register for Prees Whixall Independent Chapel provided by Mel Lockie.
- A transcript of the Prees parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1831 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the Prees parish entries from Gregory's 1824 Gazetteer of Shropshire,
Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015
- "CORRA CALVERHALL, a chapelry in the parish of Prees, hundred of North Bradford, in the county of Salop, 6 miles to the S.E. of Whitchurch, 6 N. of Market Drayton, and 160 N.W. of London. It is near the Crewe and Shrewsbury branch of the London and North-Western railway, on which Prees is a station. It includes the hamlets of Millenheath and Willaston. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Lichfield, value £65, in the patronage of J. W. Dod, Esq., M.P. The church, dedicated to St. Bartholomew, is a Gothic edifice, recently erected by J. W. Dod, Esq., who is chief landowner, and resides at a noble mansion called Cleverly. Viscount Hill is lord of the manor.
- " DARLESTON, a hamlet in the parish of Prees, Whit church division of the hundred of North Bradford, in the county of Salop, 6 miles S. of Whitchurch."
- " DARLISTON, a township in the parish of Prees, Whitchurch division of the hundred of North Bradford, in the county of Salop, 4½ miles N.E of Wem. It is situated on the river Tern."
- " FAULS, a chapelry in the parish of Prees, hundred of North Bradford, county Salop, 2½ miles S.E. of Prees, and 4 N.E. of Wem. Shrewsbury is its post town. It includes the townships of Darleston, Fauls, Mickley, and Sandford. Here is a district church, the living of which is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Lichfield, value £50, in the gift of the vicar of the parish. The church is a neat brick structure."
- " MICKLEY, a township in the parish of Prees, county Salop, 4 miles S.W. of Market-Drayton. It is situated near the river Tern."
- " MILLENHEATH, a township in the parish of Prees, county Salop, 4 miles S.E. of Whitchurch. It is situated on the river Tern."
- " SANDFORD, a township in the parish of Prees, county Salop, 5 miles W. of Market Drayton."
- " STEEL, a township in the parish of Prees, county Salop, 5 miles N.E. of Wem, and 3 S. of Whitchurch. The village is considerable."
- " WHIXHALL, a chapelry in the parish of Prees, Whitchurch division of North Bradford hundred, county Salop, 3½ miles N.E. of Wern. The village is situated near the Ellesmere canal. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Lichfield, value £200, in the patronage of the Vicar of Prees. The church is dedicated to St. Mary."
- " WILLASTON, a township in the parish of Prees, county Salop, 5 miles N.W. of Market-Drayton."
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Prees to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Prees has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ556335 (Lat/Lon: 52.897099, -2.661458), Prees which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)