"RICHARD'S CASTLE, a parish partly in the lower division of Munslow hundred county Salop, and partly in the hundred of Wolphy, county Hereford, 4 miles S.W. of Ludlow, its post town, and 3 from the Woofferton railway station. It comprises the townships of Woofferton, Overton. Batchcott, and Moor. The village, which is chiefly agricultural, was formerly a market town under the Mortimers by grant from King John, but both the market and fair have long been disused. It is situated on the old road from Ludlow to Leominster, near the Kington canal, which passes to the S.E. of the village. Here are the ruins of the keep and walls of a castle erected prior to the Conquest by Richard Scrope. It was near this spot that Colonel Birch routed the Royalists in 1645. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £650, and there are 109½ acres of glebe. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Hereford, value. £745, in the patronage of the Bishop of Worcester. The church, dedicated to St. Bartholomew, has a detached tower, the spire of which has been burnt down. There are some stained windows. A school is supported by the rector. In this parish is a spring, called Boney-well, from the circumstance that numerous small fish or frog bones are cast up by its waters in spring and autumn."[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015]
- A transcript of the RichardsCastle parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1831 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the RichardsCastle parish entries from Gregory's 1824 Gazetteer of Shropshire,
Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015
- " BATCHCOTT, a township in the parish of Richard's Castle, and hundred of Munslow, in the county of Salop, 4 miles to the S. of Ludlow."
- " MOOR-WITH-BATCHCOTT, a township in the parish of Richard's-Castle, hundred of Munslow, county Salop, 2 miles S.W. of Ludlow."
- " OVERTON, a township in the parish of Richard's Castle, hundred of Munslow, county Salop, 2 miles S. of Ludlow."
- " WOOLFERTON, a township in the parish of Richard's Castle, county Salop, 4 miles S.E. of Ludlow. The Stourport canal passes through the township."
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Richards Castle to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Richards Castle has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO496696 (Lat/Lon: 52.322172, -2.740879), Richards Castle which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)