"RUSHBURY, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Munslow, county Salop, 4½ miles E. of Church-Stretton, its post town. It comprises the townships of East Wall, Gretton, Stone Acton, Wilderhope, and Wall, or Etocetum. It is presumed to be the site of the Roman station Bravinium, situated between Old Radnor and Worcester, on Watling and Ryknield Streets. The village is situated on Eaton Brook, under Wenlock Edge, and is chiefly agricultural. Rushbury was formerly a market town, under grant from Edward I. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Hereford, value £449, in the patronage of the Bishop of Worcester. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is an ancient structure, with a tower containing five bells. It was thoroughly restored in 1855. The parochial charities produce about £21 per annum. There is a parochial school for both sexes. The Rev. H. T. Pelham is lord of the manor."[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015]
- A transcript of the Rushbury parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1831 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the Rushbury parish entries from Gregory's 1824 Gazetteer of Shropshire,
Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015
- "ACTON STONE, a township in the parish of Rushbury, hundred of Munslow, in the county of Salop, 3 miles to the E. of Church Stratton."
- " STANWAY, a township in the parish of Rushbury, county Salop, 7 miles S.W. of Wenlock. It is situated on the river Corve, and is in conjunction with Wilderhope."
- " STONE ACTON, a township in the parish of Rushbury, county Salop, 3 miles E. of Church Stretton."
- " WALL UNDER HAYWOOD, a township in the parish of Rushbury, county Salop, 4 miles S.E. of Church Stretton."
- " WILDERHOPE, a township in the parish of Rushbury, county Salop, 5 miles S.W. of Much-Wenlock. It is situated under the range of hills known as Wenlock Edge, and is joined with Stanway."
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Rushbury to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Rushbury has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO514918 (Lat/Lon: 52.521898, -2.717707), Rushbury which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)