"RYTON, a parish in the Shiffnal division of Brimstree hundred, county Salop, 3½ miles S.E. of Shiffnal, its post town, and 3 from the Albrighton station. The village, which is small, is situated on the river Worf, and is chiefly agricultural. It had anciently a market, and gave title of baron to the Cravens, but the market and fair have long been discontinued. The soil is of a sandy nature, with a subsoil of red sandstone. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £445, and the glebe comprises 59 acres. The living is a rect* in the diocese of Lichfield, value £545. The church is a stone structure, with a tower containing three bells. The church, which has lately been restored, has an E. window. There is a National school for both sexes. R. H. Cheney, Esq., is lord of the manor."[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015]
- A transcript of the Ryton parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1831 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the Ryton parish entries from Gregory's 1824 Gazetteer of Shropshire,
- A transcript of the Ryton parish entries from Stephen Whatley's 1750 Gazetteer of England,
Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015
- " GRINDLE, a village in the parish of Ryton, hundred of Brimstree, county Salop, 4 miles S. of Shiffnal."
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Ryton to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Ryton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ761027 (Lat/Lon: 52.621534, -2.354475), Ryton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)