"RYTON, a parish in the Shiffnall division of the hundred of BRIMSTREE, county of SALOP, 4 miles (S. by E.) from Shiffnall, containing 131 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Salop, and diocese of Lichfield and Coventry, rated in the king's books at &5. 12. l., and in the patronage of G. Molineux, Esq. This place had anciently a weekly market, and an annual fair for four days, both which have been long disused. Ryton gave the title of baron to John, second son of Sir William Craven, Knt., and brother to William, Earl of Craven, but it is now extinct."
[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1831](unless otherwise stated)
[Description(s) transcribed by Mel Lockie ©2015]