SELATTYN: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1831.
"SELATTYN, a parish in the hundred of OSWESTRY, county of SALOP, 3 miles (N. N. W.) from Oswestry, containing 959 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St.'Asaph, rated in the king's books at £ 12. 9. 9., and iri the patronage of William Lloyd, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. James Wylding, one of the assembly of divines during the Interregnum, and the celebrated Dr. Henry Sacheverell, were rectors here. Offa's Dyke forms part of the western boundary of the parish, wherein formerly stood the ancient "Castle Brogyntyn," of which there are now scarcely any remains. A National school has been recently established."
[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1831](unless otherwise stated)
[Description(s) transcribed by Mel Lockie ©2015]