"SHAWBURY, a parish in the hundreds of North Bradford and Pimkill, county Salop, 7 miles N.E. of Shrewsbury, its post town, and 6 S.E. of Wem. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the river Roden, and is chiefly agricultural. The parish contains the townships of Acton Reynold, Beaford, Edgbolton, Muckleton, Preston, Brockhurst, and Wytheford. The freestone quarries in this and the neighbouring parishes have supplied the materials for most of the public buildings in the town of Shrewsbury. The great tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £436 8s., and the vicarial for £394 12s., the glebe comprises 37 acres. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Lichfield, value £450. The church, dedicated to the Virgin Mary, is an ancient edifice, with a tower containing six bells. The parochial charities produce about £63 per annum, of which £5 goes to a school. There is a school for both sexes maintained by Mrs. Charlton, of Apley Castle."[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015]
- A transcript of the Shawbury parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1831 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the Shawbury parish entries from Gregory's 1824 Gazetteer of Shropshire,
Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015
- " ACTON REYNOLD, a township in the parish of Shawbury, hundred of North Bradford, in the county of Salop, 7 miles to the N.E. of Shrewsbury. It is near the river Roden."
- " BESFORD, a township in the parish of Shawbury, and hundred of North Bradford, in the county of Salop, 3 miles to the S.E. of Wem. The river Roden runs near it."
- " EDGBOLTON, a township in the parish of Shawbury, Wem division of the hundred of North Bradford, county Salop, 6 miles S.E. of Wem. It is situated near the river Roden. There is a chapel here belonging to the Wesleyan Methodists."
- " MUCKLETON, a township in the parish of Shawbury, county Salop, 7 miles N.W. of Wellington, and 9½ E. by N. of Shrewsbury. It is situated on the river Roden, near Muckleton-Moss."
- " PRESTON-BROCKHURST, a township, partly in the parish of Shawbury, and partly in that of Moreton-Corbet, Wem division of the hundred of North Bradford, county Salop, 3 miles S.E. of Wem."
- " WYTHEFORD, (Magna and Parva) townships in the parish of Shawbury, county Salop, 6 miles N.E. of Shrewsbury, on the river Roden.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Shawbury to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Shawbury has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ558212 (Lat/Lon: 52.786553, -2.656814), Shawbury which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)