SHAWBURY: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1831.

"SHAWBURY, a parish comprising the townships of Besford and Preston Brockhurst, in the hundred of PIMHILL, the township of Acton Reynold, in the liberties of SHREWSBURY, and the townships of Edgbolton and Shawbury, in the Whitchurch division of the hundred of BRADFORD (North), county of SALOP, and containing 1133 inhabitants, of which number, 339 are in the township of Shawbury, 7i miles (N. E.) from Shrewsbury. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Salop, and diocese of Lichfield and Coventry, rated in the king's books at £7- 1. 5., and in the patronage of William Marvin, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Mary."

" ACTON REYNOLD, a township in that part of the parish of SHAWBURY, which is within the liberty of SHREWSBURY, county of SALOP, 7 miles (N.N.E.) from Shrewsbury, containing 168 inhabitants."

" BESFORD, a township in that part of the parish of SHAWBURY, which is in the hundred of PIMHILL, county of SALOP, 3 miles (S. E. by E.) from Wem, containing 169 inhabitants."

" EDGBOLTON, a township in that part of the parish of SHAWBURY, which is in the Whitchurch division of the hundred of BRADFORD (North), county of SALOP, 8 miles (N.E. by N.) from Shrewsbury, containing, with Mucklestone and Great Witchford, 457 inhabitants."

" MUCKLESTON, a hamlet in that part of the parish of SHAWBURY, which is in the Whitchurch division of the hundred of BRADFORD (North), county of SALOP, 9 miles (N.E. byE.) from Shrewsbury. The population is returned with the township of Edgbolton."

" PRESTON BROCKHURST, a township partly in the parish of SHAWBURY, hundred of PIMHILL, and partly in the parish of MORETON CORBET, Whitchurch division of the hundred of BRADFORD (North), county of SALOP, 3 miles (S. E. by S.) from Wem. The population is returned with Moreton Corbet."

[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1831](unless otherwise stated)

[Description(s) transcribed by Mel Lockie ©2015]