"SHELVE, a parish in the lower division of Chirbury hundred, county Salop, 16 miles from Shrewsbury, and 7 N.E. of Bishop's Castle. The village, which is of small extent, is situated near Stiper Stones, on a site nearly 500 feet above the level of the sea. The inhabitants are chiefly agricultural. Here are situated the White grit and Bog lead mines, which are said to have been worked by the Romans in the time of Hadrian, but the latter are not now used. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £42, and the glebe comprises 18 acres. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford, value £80. The church, dedicated to All Saints, was rebuilt in 1839. There is a National school for both sexes. The Rev. T. F. More is lord of the manor and principal landowner. A pig of lead, bearing a Roman inscription, was discovered here some years ago."[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015]
- A transcript of the Shelve parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1831 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the Shelve parish entries from Gregory's 1824 Gazetteer of Shropshire,
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Shelve to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Shelve has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO336990 (Lat/Lon: 52.584734, -2.981454), Shelve which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)