"SHERIFF HALES, a parish partly in the Newport division of the hundred of BRADFORD (South), county of SALOP, but chiefly in the western division of the hundred of CUTTLESTONE, county of STAFFORD, 3 miles (N. by E.) from Shiffnall, containing, with the hamlet of Woodcote, 1064 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Stafford, and diocese of Lichfield and Coventry, rated in the king's books at £ 11.1.8., and in the patronage of the Marquis of Stafford. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. A milky vitriolic water is found among the iron mines in the neighbourhood."
" WOODCOTE, a chapelry in that part of the parish of SHERIFF HALES, which is in the Newport division of the hundred of BRADFORD (South), county of SALOP, 3 miles (S.E. by S.) from Newport, containing 188 inhabitants."
[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1831](unless otherwise stated)
[Description(s) transcribed by Mel Lockie ©2015]