"SHIFFNAL, a parish, post and market town in the Shiffnal division of the hundred of Brimstree, county Salop, 18 miles S.E. of Shrewsbury, and 8 S.E. of Newport. It is a station on the Shrewsbury and Birmingham railway. It is situated on the turnpike road from London to Holyhead, in a country abounding with coal, and iron-ore. The parish, which is extensive, comprising nearly 10,000 acres, includes the townships of Stanton, Wyke, and Woodside, part of Burlington, part of Crackley Bank, Drayton, Evelith, Hatton, Haughton, Hem, and Hinnington. Shiffnal was formerly called Idesall or Idsal, and was once held by Earl Mortar, the Saxon. After the Norman conquest it successively passed to various families of distinction, among whom were the Dunstanvilles, Badlesmeres, Bohuns, Mortimers, and Talbots. The town was originally situated to the westward of the church, but was entirely destroyed by fire towards the close of the 15th century, when it was rebuilt on its present site, It contains a bank, savings-bank, mechanics' institute, union poorhouse, and public baths. Petty and special sessions are held monthly, also a court-leet annually for the manor of Shiffnal. Many of the inhabitants are employed in the coal and iron mines, and in the numerous blast furnaces, rolling and slitting mills, foundries, and in the manufacture of paper. The soil is fertile, upon a substratum of light gravel, though in some parts sandstone predominates. The land is chiefly arable, producing excellent crops of wheat, barley, and beans. A new line of railway has been opened from Shiffnal to Madeley, embracing a wide district of mineral traffic. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Lichfield, value £420. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is a cruciform structure, with a tower in the centre containing eight bells. The interior of the church contains handsome oak roofs and several monuments, including one to W. Wakeley, who lived 124 years, from the reign of Elizabeth to that of George I. The church was restored in 1810, and the body of it again in 1855. There is also a church at Priors Lee, the living of which is a perpetual curacy, value £150, in the patronage of the Vicar of Shiffnal. The church was rebuilt in 1837 by subscription. The parochial charities produce about £35 per annum. There are National schools for both sexes, and a grammar school, established in 1595 by John Aron; the latter has an exhibition in turn with other Shropshire schools to Christ Church College, Oxford. The Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, and Baptists, have each a place of worship. Dr. Beddoes, the eminent physician, was born here in 1760, and died in 1808. Haughton Hall, Hatton Grange. Aston Hall and Decker Hill are the principal residences. The Lord Stafford is lord of the manor. Market day is on Tuesday. Fairs are held on the first Monday in April, 5th August, and 23rd November, for hops, horses, and cattle."[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015]
- A transcript of the Shiffnal parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1831 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the Shiffnal parish entries from Gregory's 1824 Gazetteer of Shropshire,
- A transcript of the Shiffnal parish entries from Stephen Whatley's 1750 Gazetteer of England,
Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015
- " COSFORD, a hamlet in the parish and hundred of Shiffnal, in the county of Salop, 19 miles S.E. of Shrewsbury."
- " HATTON, a hamlet and township in the parish of Shiffnal, Shiffnal division of the hundred of Brimstree, county Salop, 2 miles S.E. of Shiffnal."
- " OAKENGATES, a hamlet in the chapelry of Prior's Lee and parish of Shiffnal, hundred of Brimstree, county Salop, 3 miles N.W. of Shiffnal, and 17 E. by S. of Shrewsbury. It is a station on the Chester, Shrewsbury, and Wolverhampton section of the Great Western railway, and also on the Coalport branch of the London and North-Western. It is situated near the Welsh border, in a country abounding in coal and iron ore. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Lichfield, value £52, in the patronage of the bishop."
- " PRIORS LEE, (or Leigh), a township and chapelry in the parish of Shiffnal, Shiffnal division of the hundred of Brimstree, county Salop, 3 miles N.W. of Shiffnal, its post town, and 4½ N.E. of Wellington. It is situated on the turnpike road from Shiffnal to Wellington. The township is intersected by the Shrewsbury and Birmingham railway. The village, which is considerable, is in close proximity to the chief coal and iron districts of Shropshire. The township includes the hamlet of Oakengates. There are numerous blast furnaces, rolling and slitting mills, and foundries for castings of all kinds. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Lichfield, value £150, in the patronage of the Vicar of Shiffnal. The church has a square tower containing a clock and one bell. The church was rebuilt in 1836. There is a free school at Snedshill. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. Priors Lee Hall, the principal residence, is situated at a short distance from the village.
- " WOODHOUSE, a hamlet in the parish of Shiffnal, county Salop, 2 miles from Shiffnall, and 8 S. of Wellington."
- " WOODSIDE, a township in the parish of Shiffnal, county Salop, 4 miles S.E. from Shiffnall."
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Shiffnal to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Shiffnal has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ749076 (Lat/Lon: 52.665528, -2.372574), Shiffnal which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)