"SHIPTON, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Munslow, in county Salop, 6½ miles S.W. of Much-Wenlock, its post town, and within the liberties of which borough it is included, and 8 E. of Church Stretton railway station. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the river Corve, and on the turnpike road from Much Wenlock to Ludlow. In the vicinity, near Larden, is an encampment, said to be of British origin. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The soil consists of a rich loam, with a subsoil of limestone, which is quarried. This parish was formerly a chapelry in the parish of Wenlock. The living is a donative curacy in the diocese of Hereford, value £3. The church, dedicated to St. James, is an ancient stone structure, with a belfry and three bells. The interior of the church contains monuments of the Mytton family. Shipton Hall and Larden Hall are the principal residences. T. Mytton, Esq., is lord of the manor."[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015]
- The transcription of the Parish Registers for Shipton provided by Mel Lockie.
- A transcript of the Shipton parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1831 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the Shipton parish entries from Gregory's 1824 Gazetteer of Shropshire,
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Shipton to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Shipton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO562919 (Lat/Lon: 52.523205, -2.646982), Shipton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)