SHRAWARDINE: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1831.
"SHRAWARDINE, a parish in the hundred of PIMHILL, county of SALOP, 6 miles (W. N. W.) from Shrewsbury, containing 177 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Salop, and diocese of Hereford, rated in the king's books at £ 9.12.6., and in the patronage of the Earl of Powis. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. Shrawardine castle was built by Alan, a follower of the Conqueror, and ancestor of the celebrated Fitz-Alans, who held it under the crown for many ages, to check the invasions of the Welch. After having been the scene of many remarkable events, it was, in the reign of Elizabeth, purchased by Lord Chancellor Bromley: the site and remains, tegether with other estates in the parish, are now the property of the Earl of Powis."
[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1831](unless otherwise stated)
[Description(s) transcribed by Mel Lockie ©2015]