Shrewsbury: Holy Cross St Giles
"SHREWSBURY HOLY CROSS ST. GILES, a parish in the town of Shrewsbury."[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015]
- A transcript of the ShrewsburyHolyCrossStGiles parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1831 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the ShrewsburyHolyCrossStGiles parish entries from Gregory's 1824 Gazetteer of Shropshire,
Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015
- " ABBEY FOREGATE, a township in the parish of Shrewsbury Holy Cross St. Giles, in county Shropshire. It is so called from a Benedictine abbey, founded here, in the year 1083, by Roger de Montgomery, Earl of Arundel and Shrewsbury, and Adelisa his wife. Near the site of the abbey is abbey House."
- " MONKMOOR, a hamlet in the parish of Shrewsbury Holy Cross St. Giles, borough of Shrewsbury, county Salop, 2 miles N.E. of Shrewsbury. It is situated on the river Severn."
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Shrewsbury: Holy Cross St Giles to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Shrewsbury: Holy Cross St Giles has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ498124 (Lat/Lon: 52.706926, -2.744421), Shrewsbury: Holy Cross St Giles which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)