Shrewsbury: St Chad

Primary tabs

"SHREWSBURY ST. CHAD, a parish in the town of Shrewsbury."[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015]

Churches

You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Shrewsbury: St Chad area or see them printed on a map.

topup

Church Records

topup

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Shrewsbury: St Chad which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015

  • " ALKMERE, a township in the parish of Shrewsbury St. Chad, in the county of Salop, 2 miles to the S.E. of Shrewsbury. It is now united with Belton, a hamlet of Drayton."
  • " BETTON and AIKMERE, a township in the parish of Shrewsbury St. Chad, in the county of Salop, 3 miles to the S. of Shrewsbury, its post town. The principal residences are Betton Strange and Betton Hall.
  • " BICTON, (or Bickton), a joint township with Calcott, in the parish of Shrewsbury St. Chad, in the county of Salop, 3 miles to the N.W. of Shrewsbury. It lies on the banks of the river Severn, and is crossed by Watling Street. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Lichfield, of the value of £60, in the patronage of the Vicar of St. Chad.
  • " CALCOTT, a township in the parish of Shrewsbury St. Chad, in the borough of Shrewsbury, county of Salop, 3 miles to the N.W. of Shrewsbury. It is near the Shrewsbury and Chester railway, and is a joint township with Bicton."
  • " CROW MEOLE, a township in the parish of Shrewsbury St. Chad, in the county of Salop, 2 miles W. of Shrewsbury."
  • " FRANKWELL, a township in the parish of Shrewsbury St. Chad, borough of Shrewsbury, county Salop. It forms a suburb of Shrewsbury. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Lichfield, value £160, patron the Vicar of St. Chad."
  • " HORTON, a township in the parish of Shrewsbury St. Chad, county Salop, 3 miles W. of Shrewsbury. It is joined to Woodcote."
  • " LONGNER, a township in the parish of Shrewsbury St. Chad, county Salop, 2 miles S.E. of Shrewsbury. It is situated on the river Severn. Longner Hall is a fine seat."
  • " ONSLOW, a township in the parish of Shrewsbury St. Chad, county Salop, 2 miles W. of Shrewsbury."
  • " OXON, a township in the parish of Shrewsbury St. Chad, county Salop, 2 miles N.W. of Shrewsbury. It is in conjunction with Skelton."
  • " SHELTON, a township in the parish of Shrewsbury St. Chad, county Salop, 2 miles W. of Shrewsbury. It is joined with Oxon to form a township. Near the village is an oak, said to have been ascended by Owain Glyndwr before the battle fought here in 1403."
  • " WHITLEY, a township in the parish of Shrewsbury St. Chad, county Salop, 3 miles S.W. of Shrewsbury. It is joined to Welbatch."
  • " WOODCOTE, a township in the parish of Shrewsbury St. Chad, county Salop, 2 miles S.W. of Shrewsbury. It is joined with Horton."

Ask for a calculation of the distance from Shrewsbury: St Chad to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Shrewsbury: St Chad has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup