Shrewsbury: St Mary

Primary tabs

"SHREWSBURY ST. MARY, a parish in the town of Shrewsbury."[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015]

Churches

You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Shrewsbury: St Mary area or see them printed on a map.

topup

Church Records

topup

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Shrewsbury: St Mary which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015

  • " ALBRIGHTON, a chapelry in the parish of Shrewsbury St. Mary, and in the hundred of Pimhill, in county Shropshire, 3 miles to the N. of Shrewsbury. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Lichfield, value, £52, in the patronage of W. Spurrier, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. John the Baptist."
  • " ASTLEY, a chapelry in the parish of Shrewsbury St. Mary, in the liberty of Shrewsbury and county of Salop, 5 miles from Shrewsbury. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Lichfield, of the yearly value of £56, in the gift of the corporation of Shrewsbury."
  • " BERWICK, (or Little Berwick), a township in the parish of Shrewsbury St. Mary, in the county of Salop, 2 miles from Shrewsbury. The living is a perpetual curacy, of the value of £54, in the patronage of the Earl of Tankerville and others. The principal mansion is Berwick House, the seat of the Hon. H. W. Powys.
  • " CLIVE, a chapelry in the parish of Shrewsbury St. Mary, in Albrighton division of the county of Salop, 3 miles S. of Wem, and 8 N. of Shrewsbury, its post town. It is situated on the road from Shrewsbury to Chester, and commands a good view from the top of Clive Hill. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Lichfield, value 1111, in the patronage of trustees. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient stone structure. The Independents have a chapel. In the neighbourhood are good freestone quarries. The Duke of Cleveland is lord of the manor. Wycherley and Ireland were born here."
  • " HARLSCOTT, a township in the parishes of Shrewsbury St. Alkmund, and Shrewsbury St. Mary, county Salop, 2 miles N. of Shrewsbury."
  • " LEATON, a township in the parish of Shrewsbury St. Mary, hundred of Pimhill, county Salop, 4 miles N.W. of Shrewsbury. It is a station on the Shrewsbury and Chester section of the Great Western railway. The township is situated near the bank of the river Severn."
  • " NEWTON, a township in the parish of Shrewsbury St. Mary, county Salop, 3 miles N.W. of Shrewsbury."
  • " WOOLLASCOTT, a township in the parish of Shrewsbury St. Mary, hundred of Pimhill, county Salop, adjoining Shrewsbury."

Ask for a calculation of the distance from Shrewsbury: St Mary to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Shrewsbury: St Mary has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup