"SMETHCOTT, a parish in the hundred of Condover, county Salop, 4 miles N. of Church-Stretton, its post town, and 8½ S.W. of Shrewsbury. The village, which is of small extent, is wholly agricultural. The parish includes the hamlets of Betchcott, Picklescott, and Walk Mills. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Lichfield, value £276, in the patronage of the trustees of Hulme's Charity. The church is dedicated to St. Michael. The parochial charities produce about £19 per annum, of which £4 go to a school."[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015]
- The transcription of the Parish Registers for Smethcote provided by Mel Lockie.
- A transcript of the Smethcott parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1831 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the Smethcott parish entries from Gregory's 1824 Gazetteer of Shropshire,
Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015
- " BETCHCOTT, a township in the parish of Smethcott, hundred of Condover, in the county of Salop, 4 miles from Church Stretton."
- " PICKLESCOTT, a township in the parish of Smethcott, county Salop, 4 miles N.W. of Church-Stretton."
- " WALK-MILLS, a hamlet in the parish of Smethcott, county Salop, 3 miles N. of Church Stretton."
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Smethcott to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Smethcott has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
St Michael and All Angels Single-aisled church largely rebuilt in the 19thc by J P Harrison. Blocked 12thc N doorway in the nave. Small plain Norman window in the N wall of the chancel. 12thc Priest's Doorway. 12thc font at the W end of the nave. There are fragments of sculpture immured in the exterior of the nave and the chancel. The medieval church belonged to a castle, and the remains of a motte and a bailey castle survive to the W of the church. The castle ceased to be a residence of the lords of the manor after c. 1272 when it passed to the Burnell family of Acton Burnell. In 1315 no manorial buildings remained. Excavations carried out in the grounds of the castle in the 1950s produced 13thc pottery. Church records contain a reference to Roger Clericus who was resident in Smethcott in 1262. The church was rebuilt in 1850.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO453997 (Lat/Lon: 52.592331, -2.808906), Smethcott which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)