STANTON LACY: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1824.

 

"STANTON LACY (or STAUNTON LACY), a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Munslow, a vicarage remaining in charge, in the diocese of Hereford, the deanery of Ludlow, and archdeaconry of Salop. 243 houses, 1,267 inhabitants. 3 miles north of Ludlow.

Part of this village, with Langley, Rockele, (now Rockley) &c. formerly belonged to the Monastery of Lanthony, of Gloucester.

In the year 1814, Richard Nash, Esq., of Ludlow, bequeathed £100 to the poor of this parish, the interest of which is distributed on Christmas-day, annually; and an excellent Benefit Society has lately been established under the auspices of J.H. Holder, Esq., for the purpose of raising, from time to time, by subscription of the several members thereof, and by voluntary contributions, a fund for the mutual relief and support of the members, in old age, sickness, and infirmity. In this parish, on the hill below Hayton's Bent, a number of small houses constitute the sylvan hamlet of Hope: the water which forms the rivulet falling from this elevation, becomes in its passage through rocks, strongly impregnated with carbonate of lime, and is found to possess the property of forming petrefactions, of such articles as are placed in it.

" DOWNTON, a township in the parish of Stanton Lacy, and in the hundred of Munslow. 3 miles north of Ludlow. Downton Hall is the residence of Sir William Edward Rouse Boughton, Bart. See appendix."

" EAST HAMLETS, a township in the parish of Stanton Lacy, and in the lower division of the hundred of Munslow."

" HENLEY, a township in the parish of Stanton Lacy, and in the lower division of the hundred of Munslow."

" LOWER HAYTON, a township in the parish of Stanton Lacy, and in the lower division of the hundred of Munslow."

" ROCK, a township in the parish of Stanton Lacy, and in the lower division of the hundred of Munslow."

" UPPER HAYTON and NETHER HAYTON, a township in the parish of Stanton Lacy, and in the lower division of the hundred of Munslow. 4 miles north of Ludlow."

" WEST HAMLETS, a township in the parish of Stanton Lacy, and in the lower division of the hundred of Munslow."

[Transcribed information from A Gazetteer of Shropshire - T Gregory - 1824](unless otherwise stated)

[Description(s) transcribed by Mel Lockie ©2015]