Stoke St Milborough
"STOKE ST. MILBOROUGH, a parish in the lower division of Munslow hundred, county Salop, 6½ miles N.E. of Ludlow, its post town, and 13 from Wenlock. It comprises the townships of Clee Downton, Clee Stanton, and the chapelry of Heath. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The soil is of various qualities. The living is a vicarage with the curacy of Heath annexed, in the diocese of Hereford, value £474. The church, dedicated to St. Milburgh, has a tower and four bells. It is situated in a dell, and is said to have been originally built by Milburgh, daughter of Merwald, King of Mercia, and has been recently restored. The parochial charities produce about £3 per annum, which go to a school. There is a chapel-of-ease at Heath, also a National school for both sexes. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have chapels."[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015]
- A transcript of the StokeStMilborough parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1831 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the StokeStMilborough parish entries from Gregory's 1824 Gazetteer of Shropshire,
Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015
- " BLACKFORD, a hamlet in the parish of Stoke St. Milborough, hundred of Munslow, in the county of Salop, 7 miles to the N.E. of Ludlow."
- " CLEE DOWNTON, (and Clee Stanton) villages in the parish of Stoke St. Milborough, in the county of Salop, 5 miles N.E. of Ludlow. They take their name from the Clee Hills, which are amongst the highest in Shropshire, abounding in coal, ironstone, clunch, and other minerals, overlaid by a stratum of basalt.
- " HEATH, a chapelry in the parish of Stoke St. Milborough, lower division of the hundred of Munslow, county Salop, 7 miles N.E. of Ludlow. It includes the hamlet of Norncott. The living is a curacy annexed to the vicarage of Stoke St. Milborough, in the diocese of Hereford."
- " NORNCOTT, a hamlet in the chapelry of Heath, and parish of Stoke St. Milborough, county Salop, 6 miles N. by E. of Ludlow."
- " THE MOOR, a village in the parish of Stoke St. Milborough, county Salop, 5 miles N.E. of Ludlow.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Stoke St Milborough to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Stoke St Milborough has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO567823 (Lat/Lon: 52.436947, -2.638362), Stoke St Milborough which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)