"STOKESAY, a parish in the lower division of Munslow hundred, county Salop, 7 miles N.W. of Ludlow, and 22 S. of Shrewsbury. Newton is its post town. It is situated on the river Onny and the turnpike road between Shrewsbury and Hereford. It comprises the townships of Aldon, Broom with Rowton, Newton, and Wettleton. In the vicinity are a Roman encampment called Norton's Canys, and the ruins of Stokesay Castle. The soil is of a clayey, limey, and gravelly nature, with a subsoil of blue clay. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford, value £351. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, or St. Peter, is an ancient structure with a tower and six bells. It has been recently restored. The parochial charities produce about £12 per annum. There is an endowed parochial school for both sexes. Earl Craven is lord of the manor and principal landowner."[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015]
- The transcription of the Parish Registers for Stokesay provided by Mel Lockie.
- A transcript of the Stokesay parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1831 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the StokeSay parish entries from Gregory's 1824 Gazetteer of Shropshire,
Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015
- " ALDON, a township in the parish of Stokesay, hundred of Lower Munslow, in the county of Salop, 6 miles to the N.W. of Ludlow. It is not far from the small river Onny."
- " BROOM, a township united with Rowton, in the parishes of Clungunford, Hopesay, and Stokesay, hundred of Purslow, in the county of Salop, 7 miles to the S.E. of Bishop's Castle."
- " NEWTON WITH STOKE, a township in the parish of Stokesay, county Salop, 6 miles N.W. of Ludlow."
- " ROWTON, a township in the parishes of Clungunford, Hopesay, and Stokesay, county Salop, 7 miles N.W. of Ludlow. It is in conjunction with Broom."
- " STOKE WITH NEWTOWN, a township in the parish of Stokesay, county Salop, 6 miles N.W. of Ludlow, on the river Onny."
- " WETTLETON, a township in the parish of Stokesay, county Salop, 7 miles N. W. of Ludlow, on the river Onny."
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Stokesay to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Stokesay has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO436817 (Lat/Lon: 52.430356, -2.83094), Stokesay which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)