Stottesdon

Primary tabs

"STOTTESDON, a parish mainly in the Cleobury division of Stottesdon hundred, county Salop, but partly in that of Wolphy, county Hereford, 5 miles N. of Cleobury Mortimer, its post town, and 8 S.W. of Bridgnorth. The village is on the river Rea. The parish contains Farlow, Oreton, Bardley, Chorley, and 14 other townships The soil is of various qualities. There are stone quarries and extensive lime works in the township of Oreton. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford, value £670. The church is an ancient structure. It was built by Robert de Belesme, Earl of Shrewsbury, who presented it to the abbey of that place. There is a district church at Farlow, the living of which is a perpetual curacy,* value £130. The parochial charities produce about £7 per annum. The Duke of Cleveland is lord of the manor and chief landowner."[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015]

Churches

You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Stottesdon area or see them printed on a map.

topup

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Stottesdon which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015

  • " BARDLEY, a township in the parish and hundred of Stottesdon in the county of Salop, 3 miles from Cleobury Mortimer."
  • " CHORLEY, a township in the parish of Stottesdon, in the county of Salop, 5 miles N. of Cleobury Mortimer."
  • " DUDLICK, a township in the parish of Stottesdon, in the county of Salop, 5 miles N.W. of Cleobury-Mortimer."
  • " FARLOW, a chapelry in the parish of Stottesdon, hundred of Wolphy, county Salop, 4 miles N.W. of Cleobury-Mortimer, its post town, and 10 N.E. of Ludlow. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Hereford, value £130. The church is an old Norman structure, dedicated to St. Giles. The Wesleyan Methodists have a chapel. Mrs. Botfield is lady of the manor."
  • " HARCOURT, a township in the parish of Stottesdon, county Salop, 4 miles N. of Cleobury-Mortimer."
  • " HINTON, a township in the parish of Stottesdon, county Salop, 4 miles N.W. of Cleobury Mortimer."
  • " INGWARDINE, a township in the parish of Stottesdon, county Salop, 4 miles-N. of Cleobury-Mortimer."
  • " KINGSWOOD, a township in the parish of Stottesdon, county Salop, 3 miles W. of Bewdley."
  • " LOWE, a township in the parish of Stottesdon, county Salop, 5 miles N. of Cleobury Mortimer."
  • " NEWTON, a township in the parish of Stottesdon, county Salop, 6 miles N. of Cleobury Mortimer."
  • " NORTHWOOD, a township in the parish of Stottesdon, county Salop, 5 miles N. of Cleobury Mortimer."
  • " ORETON, a township in the parish of Stottesdon, county Salop, 4 miles N.E. of Cleobury Mortimer."
  • " OVERTON, a township in the parish of Stottesdon, county Salop, 3 miles N.W. of Cleobury-Mortimer. It is situated on the river Rea."
  • " PICKTHORN, a township in the parish of Stottesdon, county Salop, 6 miles S.W. of Bridgnorth."
  • " PRESCOTT, a township in the parish of Stottesdon, county Salop, 3 miles N. of Cleobury-Mortimer."
  • " WALTON, a township in the parish of Stottesdon, county Salop, 4 miles N. of Cleobury Mortimer."
  • " WRICKTON, a township in the parish of Stottesdon, county Salop, 8 miles S.W. of Bridgnorth."

Ask for a calculation of the distance from Stottesdon to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Stottesdon has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup