SUTTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1831.
"SUTTON, a parish in the liberties of the borough of SHREWSBURY, county of SALOP, 2 miles (S. S. E.) from Shrewsbury, containing 71 inhabitants. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry of. Salop, and diocese of Hereford, rated in the king's books at £3,endowed with £200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of Lord Berwick. The church is dedicated to St. John. Sutton Spa, a fine mineral spring issuing from a stratum of ash-coloured clay, close to the village, is nearly similar in its properties to sea water, and has been found efficacious in cases of scrofula."
[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1831](unless otherwise stated)
[Description(s) transcribed by Mel Lockie ©2015]